It's Hoppin' John Day

digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)January 1, 2014

For good luck all year a southern tradition is Hoppin' John should be served today. Black-eyed peas, ham, onions, red pepper flakes, celery, etc. served with rice.

If you aren't familiar with it I have linked one of the many recipes below. Using already canned black-eyed peas speeds up the preparation of course. :)

Dave

PS: also good when made with hamburger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoppin' John recipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soilent_green

Interesting, I was not aware of this tradition. Hoppin' John is one of my favorite dishes, and it is what got me into growing my own cowpeas. Very few people up here have ever heard of cowpeas, they were never a traditional staple food in this area. I love them and use them for their own dishes as well as the soups and stews that I use my homegrown dry beans in.

Perhaps it may be considered sacrilege (fusion?) to southern folks but another favorite of mine is a pan of chicken cheese enchiladas smothered in vegetarian hoppin' john made with lots of chopped red and green sweet and mildly hot peppers. What do I know about authentic southern cuisine, I am a lifelong Minnesotan of 100 percent German ancestry who grew up in a meat and potatoes world (not that I am complaining). ;-)

BTW Dave, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your involvement in so many forums on GardenWeb. I enjoy reading your comments related to all the various subjects - you offer much knowledge and guidance put forth in a friendly, informative, and non-confrontational manner. I am certain your help is much appreciated even though folks often might not make the effort to say so.

Happy 2014.
-Tom

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™