earwigs

traveldepoe(z8 OR Coast)February 26, 2004

anyone know ways to get rid of earwigs in the flowers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

A moistened rolled-up newspaper, inverted old tuna fish can, or an 8- to 10-inch section of garden hose can be used to trap earwigs. Place traps in shaded areas where earwigs are most likely to hide during the daytime. Check traps in the morning, and shake the insects into a pail of soapy water. Diatomaceous Earth around the plant will also help but it has to be frequently replaced in our rainy weather, does not hold up to rain.

Or, put 4 or 5 holes, 1/4 inch in diameter, near the top and just below the rim of a small plastic container with lid. (Small margarine tub works fine.) Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce in the container and mix slightly.. Place the lid firmly on top and put the container in the garden where you think earwigs may be. Earwigs and small slugs crawl through holes and canÂt get out. Place a heavy brick or rock on the container so the wind doesnÂt blow it over. Check the trap every day or so, filter out any earwigs, and return the container to trap more. Replenish the mixture as needed.

If pesticides are an option, there's Orthene, Sevin, others.

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
Just ordered 6 Amethyst Gem Strain
I know I posted this before but I ordered 4" pots...
420benz
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™