transplanting hellebores

newtownfarms(Z7 NC)February 12, 2004

My mother has had these for years. She recently moved and I potted some of the seedlings up. I also moved several to my yard. Some of them seem to be turning brown and dying down, I dont see a sign of blooms at this point, I think it may be a bit early. What is the ideal condition for these?? I garden organically and when I transplanted these I planted them in rotten leaves and some rabbit manure. I side dressed a few with lime late in the fall. Any ideas?? I planted one under a huge holly tree, it doesnt look good, one under the cover of the holly but with more sun, looks the best, one in a pot, dead, and one under the cover of a TALL tree which gets lots of sun and it looks just ok.

Thanks

Sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

While the common lore is that hellebores resent transplanting, I have found they will adjust to being moved just fine, although they may sulk for a seson or two. Your situation sounds about right (but I am hoping there was some soil along with the leaves and rabbit manure :-)). Competition with the holly roots and excessive shade is likely the cause of the lack of response of the one and potted hellebores are problematic at best - most potting soil is too moisture retentive. As long as you have well draining, yet rich, humusy soil and a reasonable amount of light (they prefer more sun than most folks think), you should be fine.

Bookmark   February 13, 2004 at 11:14AM
helleborefan

When's the best time to transplant hellebores?

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 11:54AM
gardengal48

It is generally recommended to transplant them immediately after completing their bloom cycle, however I have moved them at all times of year without ill-effect. Your climate and hardiness zone will impose its own restrictions so to be safe, go for immediately after blooming.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 11:41AM
nanatofourgirls

I don't know why but Ilove all hellebores. I think its because they bloom in cold weather. I just transplanted about 20 small ones. Do you think they have a chance. If anyone has any to trade give me a buzz. I'll post my haves and have nots soon. I'd love to hear from anyone soon. All crafters and gourd crafters and growers to.Thanks nanaoffourgirls.

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 7:50PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Nana,
I just sent you an eMail you might be interested in.

George

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
Argutifolius is a real pain
Of all the hundreds of hellebores I grow I am disgusted...
geoforce
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
Too late to plant?
I ordered Ice Follies Hellebores in August, the delivery...
Columbine2012
Sponsored Products
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Trowel with Chain - 14010-T
$49.95 | Hayneedle
Worth Transplant Spade with Plastic-Steel Handle - W2253
$33.98 | Hayneedle
Eight-Piece Pink & White Garden Care Set
$34.99 | zulily
Humboldt Nutrients White Widow - HNWW10
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Blossom Garden Tote
$35.99 | zulily