looking for Fritillaria Crown Imperial

just1morehosta(5)February 19, 2008

Hello every one,

I am new here,some one sent me here from WSing forum,nice people over there!

I am looking for a Fritillaria Crown Imperial,will this grow in zone 5?

Any good sources out there for me?Thank you kindly,Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Yes, they'll grow very nicely in Zone 5. Two things are really important, though.

1) They MUST have very sandy, well drained soil, as the bulbs rot easily in wet soil.

2) Learned this lesson the hard way. They can be attacked by some kind of a root maggot, which destroys the bulb. I think it might be the same kind that gets into onions and root crops like radishes. At any rate, be sure to apply some type of granular insecticide a couple times a year to the bed, once in spring and once in fall. In the old days, i would say diazinon or dursban, but I think both of those are off the market now. I guess the Bayer Advanced grub control stuff would work.

Unfortunately, since they're a Dutch bulb, it's the wrong time of the year. I've actually seen the plants forced for spring sale at a garden center once, but VERY overpriced, like $20 for one plant. The bulbs are expensive, like $5 or $6 each, but not $20.00.

This is a very good place to buy them from:

http://www.vanengelen.com/

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 12:25PM
just1morehosta(5)

Thank you for that information,no wonder i can't find them now.:0)

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 1:34PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

A good place to buy Fritillaria and other bulbs is brentandbeckysbulbs.com Last year's fall/winter catalog had them listed at 4.00/ea. or 5/17.00 in either red, yellow or orange. I think I read somewhere that this bulb does not necessarily bloom the first year. Brandy

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 7:38PM
cynthia1_2006

Hi-don't know if you got some, but most of the local nurseies carry them - I mail ordered mine from colorblends. Ps They don't keep well and should be planted right after you get them. falls is the correct time for planting.
Cynthia

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 4:49PM
Jason_D_B(9a NE FL)

Does anyone know if they will grow and bloom successfully in zone9 (North Florida)? I want to buy some to keep squarrels out of the bulbs. Also, do they need a little winter chill?
-Jason

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Homestead tomatoes
I don't know if they just don't like me or what, but...
corrigan
rutgers vs stupice
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Heirloom petunias
Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias....
Chance1945
Rotten spots on my heirloom tomatoes
My Cherokee purple and my Arkansas Traveler's tomatoes...
zackey
best melon for Louisiana - high rainfall
I know there are a lot of postings on "best melons" But...
greenman62
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™