Pomme d'???

wesley_va(z7b VA)February 9, 2006

Every year I add a page on period vegetables to our website here at Colonial Williamsburg that I encourage all to visit. This year I am looking at the tomato, pepper and eggplant which has got me looking at the pomme d'amour mystery.

In 1554 Matthioli enlarges his commentary on Dioscorides and gives the Italian name for mala aurea, which he uses in the 1544 edition, as pomi dÂoro, supposedly referring to the golden color of the fruit. This is confusing in that all descriptions of the tomato after this time, that I can find, give red as its color.

It is possible that pomi d'oro was borrowed from the Spanish pome dei Moro (fruit of the Moors). As the Moors were pushed out of Granada, their last strong hold on the Iberian Peninsula, in 1493 it is unlikely that this name was ever applied to the tomato and probably described the eggplant.

The French pomme dÂamour is possibly a corruption of pome dei Moro but more likely in reference to its supposed aphrodisiac qualities originating with Matthioli as he classes it with the mandrake.

However, I have never found an English reference to the tomatoe as an aphrodisiac and am wondering, was the first tomato in Europe really a yellow variety, as unlikely as that seems...where do we get pomme d'amour...Carolyn, are you out there?

More Discussions
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
Looking for my old sunflowers
When I moved to Roanoke, Virginia from the coast I...
foxhillfiddler
Ground cherry
I'm considering ordering a ground cherry from Seed...
bex10023
Grocery Store Heirloom Tomatoes
Forgive me, I bought 4 of them. Not having much of...
yardenman
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
Sponsored Products
Soto Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Lime Green Grater
$11.99 | zulily
Virtu KS-70028-WM-WH-001 Vanity Set in White with Carrara Marble Top
$909.00 | Blue Bath
Liberty Furniture Taylor Springs Dresser & Mirror in Bronze Cherry Finish
Beyond Stores
Maria Theresa White Twenty-Five Light Chandelier with Golden Teak/Smoky Royal Cu
Bellacor
Bolla Cocoon Nickel Six-Light Round Pendant
$828.00 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Jackson Counter Stool – Slipcovered
Serena & Lily
3D Shaggy-805 Abstract Swirl Blue Area Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™