Vegetables

smdmtFebruary 20, 2011

I'm trying to plant heirloom vegetables this summer in my garden. Are the varieties described as heirloom always heirloom seeds? For example, I find Danvers 1/2 long carrots in seed packs at the hardware store. Are they hybrid or are all Danvers 1/2 carrots heirloom?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Suzanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

Danvers Half Long is an heirloom. Your assured of variety by selecting a reliable source. If growing more than one variety for seed there is always potential of crossing in the home garden for seed savers. Isolation by distance is not so easy.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 7:06AM
smdmt

Thanks for your response.
S.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 2:29PM
farmerdill

Some folks consider all open pollinated varieties "heirloom" other restrict the term to older, rare, non commercial varieties. Danver's Half Long is an older (pre WWII) OP so would fit most "heirloom" definitions.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 9:41PM
macmex

There is a lot of variation with the use of "heirloom." The strictest defintion I've heard was that it had to be an open pollinated variety which was kept for at least 50 years outside of commercial production. I like to think of heirloom as any older variety, say, with origins before the 60's, which is open pollinated. But even that is kind of loose. I mainly want to grow open pollinated varieties, regardless of when they were developed.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Heirloom tomato plants
This is my first large garden. I am not sure if I should...
hyazvac
heirloom tomato info
Has anyone heard of a tomato called "Mt. Pleasant'?...
katek
Grocery Store Heirloom Tomatoes
Forgive me, I bought 4 of them. Not having much of...
yardenman
cord seed
I am looking for an old corn seed called Thompson's...
georgigirl_2008
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™