Helleborus x ericsmithii

greenguy1(z7 Maryland)March 7, 2006

I just bought some Helleborus x ericsmithii from Homestead Gardens, what a knockout! Assuming they were greenhouse forced, I won't put them out for a couple of weeks yet, so I'm enjoying them in the cool, sunny back room of the house. What I can find on the web seems to indicate that they like it more sunny than shady, anybody have experience with this?

- Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'm not sure how hellebores got the persistant but rather incorrect reputation of being shade plants. They are shade TOLERANT but generally can take a fair amount of sun (some species and hybrids thrive in full sun) and will actually perform better and bloom heavier in at least some direct sun. H. x ericsmithii, because of its parentage, is one of these. In climates with hot summers, morning sun and filtered afternoon shade may be best.

Remember that many of these plants which now comprise our popular hybrids had their origins in areas surrounding the Mediterranean - Turkey, Greece, the Balkans, Croatia, Corsica - and grew naturally in woodland verges and even open meadows so they are accustomed to receiving some sun.

You might want to check out Joseph's (jgwoodard) new Hellebore website linked on a thread on this page for some excellent cultural detail and history on these plants.

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™