transplanting hellebore

dawgie(z7NC)March 22, 2004

I've got a Christmas rose helleborus that I would like to move. I planted it in a shady spot below a threadleaf Japanese maple many years ago and it has done well after a long period of doing nothing. This winter it bloomed very well. However, the spot where it is growing has become so overgrown that it is hard to see and appreciate it, so I want to move it to a more visible location.

Would now be a good time to transplant it? Are there any special precautions I should take in moving a Helleborus? I assume that they don't like to be disturbed because it took a long to do anything after I originally planted it. We have another Helloborus, a Lenten rose, blooming in a container, that we probably will move as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenmanplants(UDSA Zone 8)

I believe the best time to move is immediately after the flowering, deadhead to prevent the energy going to seed production, and dig up and replant quickly without allowing the roots to dry out. If the plant is big enough and you're going to split it, do it now, at least 2-3 growing eyes per division, don't be greedy by taking it down to one, it'll probably have 2 blind years, 1 if you're lucky.

Get it into good deep rich soil with plenty of moisture without being "Wet" and you'll have a cracking good plant next year.

If splitting, be especially careful not to damage the new white roots, the old black ones are not so important.

Cheers Greenmanplants

Bookmark   March 22, 2004 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
Argutifolius is a real pain
Of all the hundreds of hellebores I grow I am disgusted...
geoforce
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
Sponsored Products
Prairie Leisure Aspen Wood Garden Buddy Potting Bench - 97-SAGE
$219.30 | Hayneedle
Gardman 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R687
$39.51 | Hayneedle
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Gardman Walk-In 4 x 6 ft. Greenhouse with Shelving - 7622
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Humboldt Nutrients White Widow - HNWW10
$23.99 | Hayneedle