Need to move a sm. Hellebore ASAP

bunnycat(z6 NY)March 18, 2006

Hello~

I have a small hellebore which seeded into my garden path and it has a nice big fat bud. My children and pets know not to walk in this area since everything wants to grow beside or between the path flagstones. The meterman is NOT well trained, and has killed many of my plants along the edges of the path and even in the garden itself (what a @#%*$)

How soon can I move this poor little baby? It needs to get moved before the MM comes back on his next run through my side garden.

~Bunnycat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

You can move it right now. Since it's fairly young it will be easy. Just dig as deep as possible and if you can keep the rootball intact without disturbing the roots it will not even notice it's been moved.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 10:22PM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

Thanks. That's good to hear. The ground is mostly frozen again. Nights have been dropping to 19 degrees, and days are high 20's / low thirties. We've had several thaws where the ground had softened up nicely. I think in a week or so it's supposed to get into the 40's. I'll do it then, and put a fence around the plant until then.
~Bunnycat

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 10:38PM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Hi Bunnycat,

Be sure that the area is well watered the day or so before you dig. I move hellebores here all year round, and if I bring along a nice rootball, they don't seem to mind a bit.

Sounds like you need some steppables!

Laura

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 1:32PM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

Hi Laura,
If "steppables" are stepping stones (flagstone pieces), I do have those. But everything seems to like to root along the edges. And the metermen ignore the path anyway, and tromp right through my garden in the spring. Some of my hostas get very tall eyes before they unfurl, and the meter guys smash them to pieces. :o(

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 2:25PM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Hi Bunnycat,

I meant the kinds of plants that don't mind being stepped on. I'm trying several on a shady path through my back gardens. It'll be interesting to see what takes over.

My meterman was a stinker for a long time - leaving the gate open and letting my dogs out. After several requests with him directly, I called his boss. He learned to shut the gate in a hurry!

Your MM may have no idea that he's causing damage. Non-gardeners don't seem to see what their big feet are smashing. I have a good friend who loves to tour my gardens, but can't seem to help squashing a plant or two in the process - very frustrating!

Laura

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
Just ordered 6 Amethyst Gem Strain
I know I posted this before but I ordered 4" pots...
420benz
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 26.5 in. Dark Bronze Table Lamp CLI-LS494935
Home Depot
Grohe Seabury Wideset Bidet Faucet - Starlight Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Coppery Gold Bronze Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Christopher Knight Home Aloe Gel Memory Foam 13-inch Queen-size Pillow Top Mattr
Overstock.com
Phoenix Palm Tree - 6'H
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Fayth Coffee Table Multicolor - YNJ-CT1024-A1
$171.74 | Hayneedle
Elegance Black, Beige and Green Oval: 6 Ft. 7 In. x 9 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$159.00 | Bellacor
Seletti | Stack-C 2-Door Modular Safe, 35.6-In. Base
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™