Is this true?

juniorballoon(Z8a WA)March 29, 2006

About the seedlings changing the color of the parents flowers?

"You should dig the seedlings up and move them away from the mother plant, otherwise when the roots of the two plants intertwine, it will make the color of the mother plants spring flowers muddy."

Thanks,

jb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

Well, it certainly is interesting at least. What is the source and context for this quote? One logical possibility is that when the seedlings mature and bloom, they can be very different from the parent. So, say you have a white parent, if seedlings grow up around the plant and they turn out one mauve, one spotted, and one light pink, the entire clump could be viewed as muddy. If this is what s/he meant then certainly it's possible, even likely, as garden seedlings are typically variable. If not, then I'm at least slightly bewildered. As for changing the color of the mother plant's flowers, it seems unlikely. Hellebore sepals can look radically different from year to year, so maybe this was reasoning without consideration for other environmental factors?

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 2:17AM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Mine have intertwined with abandon, and no muddies here! In fact, I like to plant two seedlings together so that the mature, flowering plant(s) has two colors of blooms.

Laura

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 8:51AM
claysoil(z6 PA)

A logical explanation has already been provided for this mistaken information (the seedling's blooms mixing in with the parent's), but I have to ask where in the heck you heard/read that one? Maybe just a friend? Certainly not in publication anywhere?

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 3:54PM
juniorballoon(Z8a WA)

I read it on another internet forum. Just a hobbyist posting probably what they witnessed and explained by jgwoodard. I didn't think it was true, but before gently correcting this person I thought I'd try to corroborate here.

The context of the quote was a discussion of how to cheaply acquire hellobores and how many will seed readily.

Thanks,
jb

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 2:30PM
claysoil(z6 PA)

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity, JB. We come to the forums to learn, be it here or at other sites. Of coures, we do need to consider our sources!

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Too late to plant?
I ordered Ice Follies Hellebores in August, the delivery...
Columbine2012
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™