Shouldn't I see signs of life by now?

lisa2004(NY Z5/6)March 6, 2006

Last May I planted 3 hellebores plants (royal heritage). The leaves stayed green all summer and have been brown and green all winter. I figured this meant that they survived their first year in my garden. However, I still see no sign of new growth and the leaves from last summer are now pretty much all brown. I have always heard that these plants should be up in February even if there's snow. I'm now hoping that means in warmer zones. We had some really cold weather and snow in the past two weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scryn(z6 NY)

Mine are not doing anything right now either. I was hoping to see flowers by now and I have nothing!!!
I just planted mine this past fall also.
Maybe they just need a year or two to get settled before they flower?
-renee

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 2:35PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

This is a really odd year and the micro-climates are causing extreme differences. For instance, I have 3 plants in a semicircle around an old stump, more or less shaded by it as the day progresses. They get variously from 3-8 hours of sun each day. Last 2 years all came into bloom at once in early April. This year, one is in bloom already, one is showing fat buds, and one is barely breaking ground. Growth stage is directly correlated to the sunlight they have received.

George

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 1:44PM
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

George is right that recent weather can affect current growth. One thing that is also important is whether the plants are going to bloom. If a plant is only two or three years old it may not break dormancy until it is ready for new foliar growth which often comes later than inflorescence growth. Look into the middle of the crown at soil level and see what is there. Of course genetics is a factor too. Some plants break dormancy very early and some much later, even in the same environmental conditions.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
Sponsored Products
T3 Source Shower Showerhead Replacement Filter
$25.00 | FRONTGATE
Forest Covering Screen
$279.99 | Dot & Bo
PHAT TOMMY Aluminum 7.5 Foot Patio Market Umbrella with Crank and Tilt
Overstock.com
Reserve Wine Rack in Clear
$149.00 | LexMod
Oversized Pierre Wall Clock by Howard Miller
Grandin Road