Joseph Lemper

brpinson(8)March 6, 2010

I bought a Joseph Lemper from a very small, local nursery last week. This is the only variety of hellebore she carried this year, and she had less than a dozen. My question is...does this variety set seed. The plant I bought had loads of flowers, about 75% of them appear to have seed pods. I just wondered if the plant seeds true, or if there will even be any seeds in the pods. Thanks very much....Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgia-rose

Helleborus niger 'Joseph (Josef) Lemper' is a selected seedling from a cross between 2 H. niger plants (unnamed), so it's entirely possible that it would produce viable seed.

Any seed produced though, would usually result in a plant unlike the hybrid parent, in some respects, but would still be a H. niger, since both parents were.

If there are viable seed, it might be interesting to determine what the plant appearance would be like!

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 10:34PM
brpinson(8)

Thanks very much, Georgia-rose. Planning on putting this in a new area, and letting nature do the work so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure how well it will do here since I am in Zone 8 (b-South Carolina). Have never tried a hellebore niger before, but now that they are more readily available, decided to give it a shot...also found 3 other Ivory prince plants at a different nursery and am going to try my luck with those as well. The hellebore orientalis and foetidus do very well here...almost too well...they seed around quite a bit (which suits me just fine...evergreen and deer resistant). Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:34AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

FWIW, it's been an outstanding plant for me since I planted it a year or two ago. Started blooming in November, and basically didn't stop through March.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
hellebore help!
I don't know what I am doing wrong, I have had some...
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™