Joseph Lemper

brpinson(8)March 6, 2010

I bought a Joseph Lemper from a very small, local nursery last week. This is the only variety of hellebore she carried this year, and she had less than a dozen. My question is...does this variety set seed. The plant I bought had loads of flowers, about 75% of them appear to have seed pods. I just wondered if the plant seeds true, or if there will even be any seeds in the pods. Thanks very much....Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgia-rose

Helleborus niger 'Joseph (Josef) Lemper' is a selected seedling from a cross between 2 H. niger plants (unnamed), so it's entirely possible that it would produce viable seed.

Any seed produced though, would usually result in a plant unlike the hybrid parent, in some respects, but would still be a H. niger, since both parents were.

If there are viable seed, it might be interesting to determine what the plant appearance would be like!

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 10:34PM
brpinson(8)

Thanks very much, Georgia-rose. Planning on putting this in a new area, and letting nature do the work so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure how well it will do here since I am in Zone 8 (b-South Carolina). Have never tried a hellebore niger before, but now that they are more readily available, decided to give it a shot...also found 3 other Ivory prince plants at a different nursery and am going to try my luck with those as well. The hellebore orientalis and foetidus do very well here...almost too well...they seed around quite a bit (which suits me just fine...evergreen and deer resistant). Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:34AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

FWIW, it's been an outstanding plant for me since I planted it a year or two ago. Started blooming in November, and basically didn't stop through March.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™