Hellebore seedlings

dirtrx(z7nc)March 7, 2004

Hi Newbie question(s) I have seedlings underneath my Lenten Roses. They are about1-2 inches tall. Are they old enough/big enough to transplant? Should I put them in pots and keep them in a nursery bed. I am also in the middle of a vole war and heard the voles love seedlings so I definitely want to save my seedlings. I planted the original plants as 3 year old nursery stock so I haven't had much experience with growing them from seed. Should I wait until the momma plant has finished blooming? Do you seedlings need special care which is differnt from an established plant. I live in NC zone 7b. Any information would be helpful. Thank you, SHannon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenmanplants(UDSA Zone 8)

See the chain, "What's YOUR method of growing Hellebores from seed" for lots of tips.

Yes you can pot them up when they're at the 1-2 leaf stage, be gentle with them and get under them as you dig them out. The roots will be about 4" long.

Cheers Greenmanplants.

Bookmark   March 8, 2004 at 3:33AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I'll lift them when they have that second set of leaves or later, and usually pot them individually in my 4 x 5" deep pots. By late summer or early Fall, they are ready to go back into the ground (either mine or a friends), or they can easily stay in the pots another year. The only thing I do differently with them in the pots is fertilize occasionally with a diluted fertilizer solution; I mulch with compost instead of fertilizing any in the ground (waiting to mulch until I'm sure no more seedlings are going to appear, my self sown seedlings are still showing up here).

Bookmark   March 8, 2004 at 11:45AM
goswimmin(7b)

I also wait till they get their 2nd true leaves before I move them. They really are very sturdy plants.
I don't have lots of pots so I usually make beds in the yard for mine and have not had any problem putting them directly in the ground. I put them close together and then in a year or so thin them again.
Mary

Bookmark   March 9, 2004 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™