Hellebore seedlings, should I try to pot up?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAMarch 20, 2012

I see quite a few of them, but I thought I remembered that you are supposed to leave them until fall before trying to replant them. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with potting them up in individual small pots and letting them grow on over the summer and planting out in the fall?

thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wvbetsy(z6WV)

Go ahead and pot them now. Be sure to get the entire root. The root is very deep. I dig seedlings once the weather is warm and pot them or transplant them without any problems.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 8:48PM
claysoil(z6 PA)

Everyone is different, but I have greater success/survival rates when I wait until fall. I have read that you are not to touch the stem of the new seedlings...tough when they are so small. At this time I have so many plants that I rip out the seedlings that are too close to the parent plants and allow the ones further away to get older before I dig them up.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 10:44AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thank you both. Since I have a ton of seedlings, I imagine I could try both ways. I don't have a ton of mature plants so I will be happy to see these mature and be useable in the garden.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™