Help! Hellebore in distress

inluminoApril 13, 2010

Hoping someone can help-I just received a Hellebore plant that I ordered online and it looks like it got smashed around in transit. The leaves are dried out on the edges and the stems damaged and won't stand up on their own. Is it too late or is there any way to save this poor little plant? Would cutting off the damaged stems help? I am in love with Hellebores but this is actually my first Hellebore plant so I'm unsure of how to proceed!

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

The top growth is not that important. If the rootball is intact, the plant should be fine. Is your Hellebore potted or bareroot?

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladywindsurfer(Z7 SE)

As you describe the foliage, it is apparently last years growth and will soon be replaced by a new flourish.

I would plant it now. Select a location that has rich, moist, but well drained soil and receives shade during the hottest part of the day, usually noon until about 4-5PM

Keep soil moist, but not soggy, until the plant becomes well established. Usually requires about a year. After they become established, they are relatively drought tolerant.

Hellebores perform best in soil with a pH of 6.5 - 7.2

Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™