PInk Frost Helleborus x ballardiae persnickety?

jackbe1April 7, 2013

Please may I have advice as to proper cultural conditions for Pink Frost? This is one of the most beautiful Hellebores with a long flowering season. Last year I planted two pink frost helleboreus Ballardiae, and they both died during late summer, early fall from rot. Last year, we had a rather wet season with higher than average rainfall in Connecticut and they both rotted. These were purchased from White Flower Farm, and were large vigorous plants when I bought them. They were planted in a small berm in reasonable loamy soil with a direct eastern exposure (morning sun) shielded from the Western sun by the house and the southern sun by a honey locust. These pink frost were not in heavy shade at all but in part sun part shade.

I am wondering if this particular variety pink frost is more persnickety about drainage than the average Hellebore? I have other hellebores that thrive for me in similar conditions to those where I planted the pink frost hellebores. Do you have advice as to how to grow Pink Frost--what cultural conditions they prefer? Not sure if the rotting problem was the growing medium from White Flower Farm. I did tease out the roots as much as possible from the original growing medium before putting them in the ground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
timhensley_gw

I've had pink frost for at least two years without any problems. It was my first hellebore purchase and has grown without any special treatment. I live in southern VT and it is in 1/2 shade growing on a slope. Wish I could be more helpful.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

No hellebore likes wet feet - good drainage is a requirement for any type. And they should be considered as quite drought tolerant as well - an exceptionally wet season may not at all be to their liking. Aside from that, the xballardiae hybrids are no pickier or harder to grow than any other type of hellebore and that includes 'Pink Frost', 'Cinnamon Snow', 'Merlin', 'Maestro', 'Mahogany Snow', etc. etc.

In fact, I find these types of hybrids among the easiest of any hellebores and some of the most sun tolerant - pretty much plant and forget!!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Sponsored Products
Stars and Crowns 7-piece Full-size Bed in a Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Verve Violet - Satin Pink Ovo Lamp with Color Finial
Lamps Plus
Tinkertoy Pink Building Set - 56541
$40.99 | Hayneedle
Gina Office Chair in Pink
$66.00 | LexMod
Pink Nyonya Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Mini Round Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink Crystal an
$150.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™