A walk in the garden this morning......(pic heavy)

Martina DeLucaJune 12, 2011

Lamium and Calathea Zebrina

Brugmansia

Colocasia Lime Aide

Yellow variegated Odora

AE AE variegated

Black Magic and spider web

Calathea variegata coming out of dormancy

Rose garden

Cream Abundance

Lavender Simplicity

Better quit for now. I love this time of year in the garden.

Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Tina: Thanks for taking us along on your garden walk. The plants look so healthy and happy. If I had to pick a fav, it would be the first picture - the lamium and calathea zebrina. It's an especially attractive combo. - June

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 10:26AM
writersblock

Beautiful. I didn't think I liked lamium, but now I'm having to reconsider that.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 10:54AM
thonotorose

Just beautiful, Tina.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 12:53PM
tinael01(10A)

OOOOoooohhhh.......Pretty! Where'd you get the black magic? I'd like to get some. The other Tina. :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:47PM
ariel73(z9FL)

I love it! I really like your Calathea Zebrina. I have some and it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours!
Great job

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 2:07PM
Martina DeLuca

Tina....I got Black Magic years ago in a trade when I started collecting Aroids. I will have babies soon if you're close to Plant City.

Thanks June and Veronica.

Writersblock....I tried Lamium last year and it was a mess planted in the ground. This year it is in a pot will super draining soil and it's doing well.

Ariel.....I love Zebrina. Of all of the Calatheas, it is the least fussy. It comes back every year and literally gives me no problems. I use it as a border. I am still filling this in and going all the way around this bed with it.

Another angle

Tina

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 3:48PM
sherryocala

Tina, your knot garden made with the edging blocks is brilliant! I love it. I can picture bigger versions of it for a veggie garden. You're so smart!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 4:25PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Tina, I absolutely love all your plants. The brug is spectacular. Is it planted in ground or in a pot? Also love the alocasia collection and the calathea zebrina. Your individual shots were beautiful, but I really love the garden shots and seeing how you have arranged everything. Nice bench.

Anna

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 4:28PM
fl_southpaw

Tina,
That is magical. Love the combinations. Thanks for posting these. The use of the edging in last picture is very clever!
Julie in WPB

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 5:35PM
starryrider(9)

Great pictures. I love seeing everyones gardens and ideas.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 5:58PM
wallisadi

does your Zebrina bloom??? saw it blooming brilliant blue at leu gardens, mine has never flowered????? love seeing your garden! alot of the alocasia, calatheas, and stuff like that are really hurting here with the lack of rain. got my water bill yesterday, yikes!

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 6:14AM
Martina DeLuca

Thanks everyone!

Sherry and Julie.......I got a bunch of the straight and curved edging pieces for free and while I had a project in mind for the straight ones, I had no idea what to do with the curved. I asked on GW and someone gave me the idea. It fits perfectly there splitting the path up the three ways it goes.

Anna....my brug is in the ground. It dies all the way back every winter and comes back. I have multiple other brugs in varying light conditions but this is the only one I get to bloom....in full sun.

Starryrider....I love seeing everyone's pics too. Everyone has such unique ideas!!

Wallisadi.....My Zebrina does bloom....pretty purple/blue ginger type flowers. I have collected plants from the Aroid family for years, Alocasias being my favorite. With age my collection has dwindled to the Aroid plants that will survive here on their own without me lugging them in and out of the house each winter. Lol. I do still have my favorites I won't let go. I'll post more pictures when some of them get bigger.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 7:01AM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Tina, it is just gorgeous! I've never had much luck with brugs. I don't do well with watering things in pots, and when I've tried them in the ground, the nematodes found them quickly. Congrats.

Anna

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:45AM
izharhaq

Every thing so beautiful... I love the variegated plants, we don't have variegated Alocaisa here but only the regular green ones which become invasive if put in ground .. your Brug is lovely, I have two grown from seeds gifted by a gardener in Florida, they grew very well in winters but now they are an easy target for pests like red mites and mealy bugs, I keep on cleaning them and used pesticides as well but they keep on attacking my precious Brugs after a week or so from spray... that fresh bloom on Lavender Simplicity rose is just awesome...

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:49AM
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

I love your colors. Green and white are truly prettier than the yellows alot of foiiage have. Everything looks SO healthy and happy

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:24PM
klflorida

Beautiful

Thank you for taking us along.

Kathy

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 7:35PM
Irma_StPete(z9 FL)

Yes, thank you for taking us along from within my air conditioned house. It's the only way to go, today!

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 7:51PM
amberroses(10a)

Love the roses :)

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 7:57PM
hester_2009

How nice to wake up this morning with a walk through your garden!
I'm with Anna, I can't grow brugs in the ground so I need your beautiful pics.
thanks,
Hester

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Planting Poinsetta plant in ground - Ft. Lauderdale
I have a Poinsetta I purchased in December that still...
Shelly K.
Plant ID
Bought this plant at a garden show this weekend, and...
oldmangroot
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Would like to try growing roses.
I have a place in front of my home where I would like...
marilyn_fl
Sponsored Products
Nature Power Outdoor Lighting. Essex 92 in. Outdoor Solar Powered Black Lamp Pos
Home Depot
Henri Studio Small Tazza Tier Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Hudson Valley Garden City Restoration-Vintage Wall Swing Lamp
1800Lighting
Safavieh Paradise Courtyard White Ceramic Garden Stool
Overstock.com
Parisian Garden Plate - Small
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Blue Canaan Vase
$18.99 | zulily
Potting Bench / Storage
Overstock.com
Design House 512673 Cameron 4-Light Vanity Light - Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish - 51
$127.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™