Sunday blooms and a surprise

Julia NY(6)July 14, 2013

The cool weather has left us and we are back to hot temps and the thermometer on the patio reads just over 90 F .

CROWN OF CREATION (with JAMIE DOCKERY)

INCA PUZZLE

SOVEREIGN QUEEN

DANKIE

WATCHYL MOON BEAM

CLAUDINE'S CHARM

BACKSEAT ROMANCE (I wonder why Paul Owen picked that name?)

TRAHYLTA

ISLE OF PATMOS
Early Morning photo

Later morning photo

MEMORIAL TO JARED

LONG LEGGED LAP DANCER (Curt could have come up with a better name for this one). Second pic is of the scapes

CAUGHT RED HANDED - Second pic is of the scapes

A couple of repeats
FREEDOM'S TRIUMPH -

OPEN DOOR

FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN

WESTBOURNE BLUEBERRY POPSICKLE (Jean: having another one today?LOL)

ESPIRIT DE CORP

MAUI SUNRISE- couldn't do both in one frame.

WINTER TREASURE

The surprise today was after taking some photos I was sitting on the front porch and noticed something moving by one of the daylilies. So I go over to investigate and find a baby rabbit, then another one and our cat Marmalade found another one. We (by we, I mean my husband and I. Marmalade stayed on the porch) took them to the very back fields and released them. Cute when babies but I have no desire to have them causing a ruckus in the garden with our cat.

Julia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

Too many I really, really like to be able to pick favorites. I like watermarked, I think that is the term, you have several here & yes, I like every one.
This must be a big year for rabbits, they are moving up right to our house. Or maybe because Roady is gone, they know my 19 year old deaf cat will never catch them. Baby rabbits are really cute, but I can get pretty territorial over my plants.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

oh my goodness JULIA, what some beauties you have posted today.well,I am going to do this backwards today and name the only one I don't care for as I love them all except for this one "WATCHYL MOON BEAM '" Is it
JAMIE DOCKERY the purple one ? love it.Just really love that CAUGHT RED HANDED and its got tons of scapes and buds.I just LOVE that dark red. its gorgeous. MAUI SUNRISE- is a beauty, too, just so many beauties, wish I had evey one of those.., gorgeous. the bunies will die since you moved them, unless their mama can find them. poor little babies.Dont blame you for not wanting them in your flowers. The cat will surely kill the if she sees them..
well, hoe I don't have too may mistakes in this, as I am having a lot of trouble to type with this right nahd today, its the wrist I broke ad it is not healed right, stupid darn doctor said oh its knitted together just perfect, but, any one can see that its not. and it hurts every day, too, but,I keep using it like he said to do.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:22PM
mantis__oh

Couldn't ask for a more striking color combo than your first pic. I'm glad you show us the buds on scapes too. I'm so tired of cultivars with bud count under 10.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:28PM
sann777

Well, I love all the daylilies. You have such healthy looking plants. Mine are just about gone and the thunderstorms and rain have kept me inside a lot these past two weeks.
Ga has certainly had a lot of rain. I love the bunnies. I hope they manage to survive. Sarah

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:52PM
shive(6b TN)

What wonderful delights for the eyes! The surprise bunnies are adorable. Crown of Creation and Jamie Dockery really compliment one another colorwise. Fantastic combo! I like that you're show the wonderful scapes, and I did a doubletake when I saw the scapes on Caught Red Handed. How do you feel about that one? I'm still growing it in pot. I've crossed with some late reds, but I'm not sure I want to plant it in the garden. The orange undertones bother me. My very favorite is Isle of Patmos. I think I liked it last year when you posted the photo, or it may have been Kay or Rita.

Debra

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:03PM
maximus7116(MI)

Way too many to like or add to my wish list. Isle of Patmos is terrific, as is the real Jamie Dockery, WB Blueberry Popsicle (think that might have to go on the list) and all the lovely watermarks. I also grow Long Legged Lap Dancer and enjoy it.

Your babies are adorable. I have too many outdoor cats and only find bunny fur here (bad cats). Hope they make it. We do have families of raccoons that have lived here for years that I can hand-feed. The babies are sweet when they take marshmallows out of my hand.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:26PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

That clump of WATCHYL MOON BEAM is really a stunner. And I just love MAUI SUNRISE and ESPIRIT DE CORP. The bunnies are cute but not good for the garden.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:35PM
Julia NY(6)

I was so pleased today when I saw both CROWN OF CREATION and JAMIE DOCKERY blooming together. Sometimes planning works and other times.....dig and replant.

CAUGHT RED HANDED was moved last year from my front garden bed to the back when I redid one of the beds. If I remember correctly from prior years, it has always done well. Most of the Rice's that I have do well here.

Julia

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:27PM
hostabff

I love the all. However Isle of Patmos has such a rich color - morning and afternoon. Too lovely. I also like Jamie Dockery - including those purple buds.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:14PM
organic_kitten(8)

Julia, your collection was wonderful. All of the fully budded scapes were as enjoyable as the blooms. Maui Sunrise and Freedom's Triumph as well as Isle of Patmos and Claudine's Charm all beauties. The bunnies are adorable and unwanted in a garden.

And I love the reds, always. What a nice group! thanks, I enjoyed it.
kay

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:14PM
avedon_gw

I am putting this on My Clippings list, as I have done several of yours and others on the forum. They are so great, I want to have them at my fingertips, so to speak. Everyone has something I like, but I will mention those purple buds of Jamie Dockery, like it when buds have color--love all the watermarked ones, like Inca Puzzle, Isle of Patmos and Claudine's Charm. The reds are looking good (also dislike the name Hanson gave his pretty red) and WB Blueberry Popsickle is a color i like a lot. Maui Sunrise another lovely color, and Winter Treasure a favorite white. Avedon

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:30AM
nat4b(4)

So many pretties! Love Dankie and Watchyl Moon Beam, Backseat Romance is very pretty, Isle of Patmos is gorgeous, they both good but I prefer early morning version, love all the reds! Great picture of Caught Red Handed buds. I like Winter Treasure too.
Yes, a lot of bunnies this year. Our cat caught a couple baby bunnies earlier this month, but she was only carrying them in her mouth, no damage at all.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 3:54PM
Maryl zone 7a

Freedom's Triumph, Fire on the Mountain, Espirit de Corp and Dankie (another name that causes pause) are the top runners for me. The baby bunnies are so cute. Yardley, my garden cat, brought me one the other day. That's his job. Before Yardley they were eating everything, even my roses. The one he brought to me won't be eating anything now. Nature at work......Maryl

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:25PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

You take such beautiful pictures! I agree with your comment about Long Legged Lap Dancer, although when I saw it on one nurseries website, it did make me pause and take a second look at it LOL. I just don't know what my neighbors would think if they say it on the plant label!

We've also had a lot of bunnies thanks to an empy field behind the house. Our lab mix has found more than a couple, and we try to save them, but usually we find them too late unfortunetly.

Tammy

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:16PM
houstmag

Isle Of Patmos just jumped out at me, what a stunner. I also like WB Blueberry Popsicle. I grow Blueberry Popsicle and the color just seems to glow in my garden.
Linda

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Daylily Grab Bag
I found a plant sale given by our local Daylily Society....
srks72
Aphids on daylilies
What do you do about aphids on your daylilies? I don't...
ruthz
photo of cool blue daylily
Does anyone have a picture of Petit's Cool Blue daylily...
pink_petals
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
Time for desirable "D" daylilies!
Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets...
sherrygirl zone5
Sponsored Products
Easter Basket Surprise Bear Figurine
$8.99 | zulily
Syrah Marble and Stainless Steel Dining Table
Zuri Furniture
Othello Sofa in Red
$599.00 | LexMod
Holiday Faux Phalaenopsis Orchid Arrangement
Overstock.com
Farmer's Chickenwire Chair in White
| Dot & Bo