New Transplants

mavarinApril 23, 2014

Hi,
I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my backyard. My yard is pretty shady during the summer but gets a great deal of sun in this area once the oak leaves fall for Fall and Winter months. With the trees blooming out the plants are getting dappled sun right now. I would say that it has been a month or so since planting. We did have a freeze and I covered them for that because I was not sure if the recently transplanted plants would take it. I am not seeing any new growth on my plants and am concerned that I have done something wrong. Do they tolerate being close to trees? Should I just be patient in waiting for new growth? I am wondering if I should feed it anything? I am new to gardening and I have a difficult yard. I love all my beautiful, tall white oaks and would not trade them for the world but they make gardening very hard!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You need patience :-)) Recently planted hellebores are not going to look any different a few weeks after planting. The bulk of their growing season occurs long before most other plants. In my area, hellebores have done all the growing they are going to do for the year. And unless grown on in a greenhouse, they are more than able to handle cold weather and frosts.

FWIW, oaks are one of the easiest of large trees to underplant. Try doing the same with maples or big conifers!!

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mavarin

Thanks! I thought patience might be the case- as it is in other walks of my life! It's nice to have that confirmation thought. I have noticed a small amount of growth recently and am very excited!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
Rabbits - Grrr!
Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem...
dlbk
Sponsored Products
Istikbal Tokyo Microfiber Sleeper - 10-TOK-N0127-03-0
$589.99 | Hayneedle
Woodson Leather Loveseat - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Safavieh Handmade Deco Art Blue New Zealand Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Bronze Metallic Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Pillow Perfect Outdoor New Geo Chaise Lounge Cushion
Overstock.com
Chintaly Tami Extendable Dining Table - CTY1289
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Panel Bedroom Set in Noble Bark...
Great Furniture Deal
Woven Karastan Woolrich Founder's Point Garnet Wool Rug (8'6 x 11'6)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™