Walter Fiske & Ras buis...

rubrifolia(7ish NYC)April 7, 2004

how do these do for you? Walter bloomed all during last summer with of course nothing now in the spring which is when I would appreciate his red trim. Is ras buis finer than fine as the catalogs froth??? tks,tks,tks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Might you mean Helleborus foetidus 'Wester Flisk'? Odd that it should have bloomed in summer - it IS a very early flowering hellebore (at least in zone 8), but summer is pushing it a bit. Did you remove the old flowering stems after they finished blooming? That can affect how well it blooms the following season. Also, IME, any foetidus is not a very long lived plant.

I don't care for the nigers so I haven't grown 'Ras Buis' - personally, I don't feel any of them are as gardenworthy as some of the other hellebore species or hybrids. I've yet to see any form of niger that made me salivate.

Bookmark   April 7, 2004 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenmanplants(UDSA Zone 8)

Sorry posted this in the wrong chain initially.

Like I've said elsewhere, if you grow foetidus in situ from seedlings, you will get a much longer lived plant, usually I remove mine after about 10 years as they get a bit straggly and untidy round the base, but they're by no means dead. I suspect the above were pot grown, transplanted and suffered premature old age as a result.
I agree that Niger is problemmatic, but your 'Ivory Prince' is a selected Nigercors(Niger x Argutifolius) and most of the Niger hybrids form some of the most spectacular garden plants.

Niger still looks very good in a very shelered garden spot, the crystal white 3" flowers in January stand out like a beacon.

Cheers Greenmanplants

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 3:23AM
More Discussions
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
Helleborus orientalis, "Wiggins White"
Has anyone seen these? I purchased one from Wiggins...
MzMolly65
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™