What's eating my Helleborus?

woodenzoo(z6 OH)April 8, 2006

I planted 3 royal heritage helleborus this past fall, and they have suffered from insufficent watering... some brown leaves and still quite small. (Let's just say, they do look worse now then when I first got them.)

Anyway, something is eating the new leaves. When I go to check on them all that is left is the stem up to where the new leaves had been. Could it be cutworms? What should I do?

Any suggestions or other ideas for what may be getting to my plants and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Possibly, we have the climbing type cutworm here that eats leaves and not just young seedlings. But it could also be mice, slugs, snails, weevils. Best way to find out and target the correct pest is to go out at night with a flashlight and look.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 9:41PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Slugs or snails sometimes nibble on young leaves, but the only times I have lost entire leaf blades as you describe, it was from deer. They sometimes eat the very young leaves, but as the leaves age, I generally find the bitten off sections nearby where the deer spit them out.

George

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 8:51AM
woodenzoo(z6 OH)

Thank you for the responses.
I'll try the 'at night with a flashlight' to see if I see anything.
I doubt that it's deer, as we are pretty much 'in the city' and have only seen deer near here once in the 8 years we have lived here. lol But boy wouldn't that be a hoot to see a deer in the flashlight!
What about squirrels? Have loads of them and I caught one chewing the bark off the hugh maple tree...
Cathy

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 11:28AM
oldroser(z5)

A rabbit did that to several of mine. They sent up new leaves but I'm still trying to trap the varmint. My pooch gave him a run for his money and he may have decided this is not a safe neighborhood - I hope!

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Rabbits - Grrr!
Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem...
dlbk
Helleborus orientalis, "Wiggins White"
Has anyone seen these? I purchased one from Wiggins...
MzMolly65
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™