Best Hellebore for Chicagoland

prairiegirlz5April 23, 2010

Hi. I'm looking for pla*nts to group under my Norway Maple, in a slightly amended, lightly mulched clay soil. I have a little shrub grouping of black chokeberries, with a few hostas along the steeping stones. I have spaces between the shrubs for planting. I plan to water these all summer, so they are well established before winter, but need pla*nts that will tolerate dry shade eventually.

I have planned for lamium and epimedium, with hellebores taking center-stage. Should I rethink my choice, or are there some that will thrive in these conditions? The nursery I go to swears they are great here. I need some encouragement and advice from a neutral source! Thanks. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Norway Maple will kill almost anything around. Too shallow and too dense roots. I have Epimediums and rhizomatous geranium under my Amur Maple which is much less agressive than Norway. Even these tough and dry shade tolerant plants are shy there. I would not risk planting Hellebores within a drip line of a Norway Maple.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 1:38AM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Hey Prairiegirl,

Why not give it a try? I have hellebores naturalizing ON the roots of my trees! Start with seedlings and they will grow anywhere. Send me your address and I'll send you a box of babies to get you started.

Laura

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 8:36AM
prairiegirlz5

Laura~You are too kind. Thanks again for the offer.

alina~Maybe I should be looking for a rhizomatous geranium instead. I don't need aggressive growers, just a spot or two of color by the path.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:58PM
alina_1

You can try with the seedlings of course, but be careful with expensive mature plants - you can loose them easily...
I had a horrible experience with Maples. Norway and Sugar are especially bad. For this reason, we removed an old Norway from our backyard - it covered 1/3 of the yard. Even grass and weeds did not grow under it. Our Amur maple is a little easier. I am trying to plant Lamium 'Purple Dragon' under it in addition to Epimediums and Geranium. I keep a back up Lamium in another place though ;)

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 4:34PM
prairiegirlz5

I have to live with the Norway for now, it is next to our raised deck, and there is a lower deck over most of the roots, accessible by stairs. This grouping I'm working on is between the lower deck and the north-facing fence, and then that bed narrows into a long border to the west, along the fenced-in yard. The shrubs act as a screen, so that one side of the rectangular yard is more secluded from the busier side to the east.

alina~I have a couple smaller lamium to try before I move my big, pretty specimen, though it is pretty tough. I have not tried the epimedium yet.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
Sponsored Products
Darlee Elisabeth Chaise Lounge Chair - DL707-33/303
$694.99 | Hayneedle
Winter Grove Rustic Bronze Table Lamp Set of 2
Lamps Plus
New Rust Red/Midnight Blue Heriz Serapi 10'x14' Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H3508
BH Sun Inc
Darya Rugs Persian, Red, 2'10" x 5'3" M1000-16127
Darya Rugs
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 8 ft.
Home Depot
Educational Insights Smart Talk Home and Family Card Set 1 - EI-2691
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Sunset Trading Madison 3 Piece Reclining Living Room Set
Beyond Stores
Homelegance Marianne Dresser w/ Mirror in White
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™