Best Hellebore for Chicagoland

prairiegirlz5April 23, 2010

Hi. I'm looking for pla*nts to group under my Norway Maple, in a slightly amended, lightly mulched clay soil. I have a little shrub grouping of black chokeberries, with a few hostas along the steeping stones. I have spaces between the shrubs for planting. I plan to water these all summer, so they are well established before winter, but need pla*nts that will tolerate dry shade eventually.

I have planned for lamium and epimedium, with hellebores taking center-stage. Should I rethink my choice, or are there some that will thrive in these conditions? The nursery I go to swears they are great here. I need some encouragement and advice from a neutral source! Thanks. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Norway Maple will kill almost anything around. Too shallow and too dense roots. I have Epimediums and rhizomatous geranium under my Amur Maple which is much less agressive than Norway. Even these tough and dry shade tolerant plants are shy there. I would not risk planting Hellebores within a drip line of a Norway Maple.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 1:38AM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Hey Prairiegirl,

Why not give it a try? I have hellebores naturalizing ON the roots of my trees! Start with seedlings and they will grow anywhere. Send me your address and I'll send you a box of babies to get you started.

Laura

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 8:36AM
prairiegirlz5

Laura~You are too kind. Thanks again for the offer.

alina~Maybe I should be looking for a rhizomatous geranium instead. I don't need aggressive growers, just a spot or two of color by the path.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:58PM
alina_1

You can try with the seedlings of course, but be careful with expensive mature plants - you can loose them easily...
I had a horrible experience with Maples. Norway and Sugar are especially bad. For this reason, we removed an old Norway from our backyard - it covered 1/3 of the yard. Even grass and weeds did not grow under it. Our Amur maple is a little easier. I am trying to plant Lamium 'Purple Dragon' under it in addition to Epimediums and Geranium. I keep a back up Lamium in another place though ;)

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 4:34PM
prairiegirlz5

I have to live with the Norway for now, it is next to our raised deck, and there is a lower deck over most of the roots, accessible by stairs. This grouping I'm working on is between the lower deck and the north-facing fence, and then that bed narrows into a long border to the west, along the fenced-in yard. The shrubs act as a screen, so that one side of the rectangular yard is more secluded from the busier side to the east.

alina~I have a couple smaller lamium to try before I move my big, pretty specimen, though it is pretty tough. I have not tried the epimedium yet.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™