Canteloupe and Watermelon suggestions?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)March 12, 2008

I'm looking for suggestions for heirloom/op muskmelons and watermelons for my upstate NY zone 5 garden this year. Any input is much appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwr6404(8B Wa)

My wife is Asian(Korean) and we have found thet www.evergreenseeds.com has a good selection of Melons,including smaller watermelons that would,I think,grow in your Zone.
Jim

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 12:40PM
booberry85(5)

I would try some of the following that are a little more tolerant to cooler weather: Minnesota Midgets, Schoon's Hardshell, Pride of Wisconsin,cream of Saskatchewan, & Orangeglo. Sugar Baby is also suppose to do well in NY, but I had a tough time with it last year (too many pests.)

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 9:02PM
carmellia(z 4 Minn)

Moon and Stars is the most beautiful watermelon you can grow. Deep green with bright orange-yellow perfectly formed circles varying in size from a grain of tapioca to fiddy cents. The leaves too are dark green and spotted. They have a kind of oak leaf shape (maybe all watermelon do, I dont know). And they are open pollinated, so you can save seed from year to year.

The caveat here is that I am not a big watermelon fan. I grown them for the rind and make pickles. I try to find enough people to take away the insides and end up composting some of it. The color inside is not very dark, but that's all I can say about it. I understand from some of the people who have accepted the insides that it was good tasting. I can only tell you that I don't think you will find a more aesthetically pleasing watermelon. Carmellia

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 9:43AM
shastadaisy

Minnesota Midget, Golden Jenny, and Blacktail Mountain watermelon grew well in my short season last year. All from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. The year before I got free seeds for Charentais which I successfully grew in a clay pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Naked seeded pumpkins
I am going to grow Gleisdorfer Naked Seeded Pumpkin...
Trishcuit
rutgers vs stupice
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Grocery Store Heirloom Tomatoes
Forgive me, I bought 4 of them. Not having much of...
yardenman
Civil War Era heirlooms?
Hi all, After reading a couple of Civil War diaries,...
tumblingtomatoes
Heirloom tomato plants
This is my first large garden. I am not sure if I should...
hyazvac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™