What's you favorite Potting soil/mix for Hellibores?

NewPenny(z8a-7b WA, USA)April 3, 2004

I did start back on page 10 and check the titles of each post for this info and didn't see it mentioned but confess I didn't read every post only the subject line. I was wondering what mix of your own you use or what comercial brand does best for you for your hellebores?

Thank you, Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't know what the recommended mix is, but what I've been using has worked well for me: approx. 3/4 Whitney Farms potting soil, 1/4 Gardener and Bloome soil building compost. The seedlings have loved it...in fact, I germinate the seeds in Whitney Farms before separating and transplanting into their own containers

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 7:01PM
Doris_J(Z8 WA)

To be honest, Penny, I don't think they're too picky about potting soil! They've thrived in any that I've used. Lately, I've been buying a brand at Albertson's, because it's inexpensive (I think the brand was Carpinito Bros.)

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 8:18PM
Greenmanplants(UDSA Zone 8)

I always use a very gritty mix for germination, 2grit, 1peat, 1loam the seedlings simply fall out of this mixwithout damaging the roots. Thereafter I use a humous rich mix if potting, adding feed in liquid form on a regular basis rather than having rich soil in a pot. If planting out: a very rich soil with lots of organic matter, I dig in about 100 litres of farmyard compost(2 sacks) per square yard, making sure that this is dug into the soil in the second spit, ie about 10-20" deep. They love it!!

Cheers Greenmanplants

Bookmark   April 4, 2004 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™