Help! My first Hellebore

shadeeladee(z5 KS)April 9, 2004

I bought my first Hellebore today (Lenten Rose- Oriental hellbore ...an impulse buy because it was only $9.92 at Walmart. Now that I have it home, I'm wondering how they do here in the hot, dry midwest with our clay soil. I know they like shade which I have plenty of. The tag wasn't overly helpful, but know they like good drainage so that will take some amending to achieve that. Do they like acid or alkaline soil? Lots of moisture? Are they touchy, finicky plants? I'll be in Europe for most of June so I'm avoiding any new plants this year which require too much pampering to get them going. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I am also new to planting Hellebores. You got a real bargain at $2.99! I had to get mine at a local nursery and it was $9.99 in a little 3 or 4 inch pot! Mine is still inside in my unheated mudroom until it warms up a bit more.
Penny

Bookmark   April 13, 2004 at 6:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steven399(7b N TX)

Well, I don't think they really like our 100o summers, but are a lot more heat tolerant given sharp drainage and regular water- I till coarse sand into my heavy soil to achieve this and position so they get morning sun in the winter, but the oaks block them from direct sun in summer-Good luck!

Bookmark   April 13, 2004 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Rabbits - Grrr!
Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem...
dlbk
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™