Purple Basil

john11840(z6/CT)January 11, 2007

Last year I traded some seed with a person named Kathy and acquired some purple basil. I planted it last spring and it made a lovely plant but didn't have much smell or taste. Does anyone else have experience with purple basil? Is it intended to be just an ornamental? I tried contacting Kathy, but apparently her email address has changed.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Purple basils are just cultivars from common basil - there are quite a few. They can be used in the same ways as common basil (ie. they're edible as well as pretty enough to be ornamental). They've been designed for the colour, and occasionally the flavour has suffered in the process, but I've found the flavour pretty much the same. Depending on the cultivar, the plant will often revert to green. One way to prevent this is to remove any green shoots as soon as they appear. If left to its own devices, such a plant will eventually become all green.

The flavour of plants such as basil (purple or otherwise) comes from the essential oils which the plant produces. In the case of basil, the more heat and sunlight you give the plant, the more of those essential oils will be produced. A plant with non-green leaves may have to work harder at it. So if you're in a relatively cool area, the flavour won't be as strong as if you live in a hot area with long hours of strong sunlight. I'm in the subtropics, so have no problems in that area!!

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 5:27PM
eswar(7b)

There is one purple basil, smells good, it is a vaiety of Krishna tulasi(holy basil).It is sold at seeds of India.com.
It is an anual, I am not sure whether it is edible, I grow them as companion plants for tomatoes along with marigold.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 2:06AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Holy (Sacred) Basil is edible. Not to everybody's taste, though!

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 2:34AM
More Discussions
Curly leaf peppermint
Does anyone know where to obtain curly leaf peppermint...
Web Loafer
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
Sponsored Products
Finn 18-Inch Gold Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$56.95 | Bellacor
Peony Purple Circle Rings Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Clubhouse Birdhouse For Purple Martins - White with Pine Shingle Roof
Signature Hardware
Handwoven Striped Casual Mandara Shag Rug (9' x 13)
Overstock.com
Collins Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. Bronze Outdoor Table Lam
Home Depot
Orange & Purple Square Ribbon Plate
$22.99 | zulily
elizabeth W Linen Aroma Fold
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™