From seed?

cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)April 4, 2004

Hello all!

I'm blessed to have two tiny hellebores -- what kind, I don't know. :) I hope they will bloom this year, they're 2nd year.

Anway, I have a package of hellebore seeds. They say they take 2 years to germinate. Has anyone done this who might have some advice for me?

I figured I'm stick 'em in a pot, keep it watered (?) through the summer, and in the garage over the winter. Perhaps year after next they'll germinate?

Am I on the right track?

TIA!

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H(7)

Christine: I winter sowed mine last year in a sturdy plastic container (sam's cookie box), left them in a semi-shaded spot all summer and this winter they germinated. I didn't do anything to them other than ignore them... but they were in a spot that would get regular watering.

I'm going to look for seeds on my big plant this year, I hear they are much quicker if you plant them right away.

Lisa

Bookmark   April 7, 2004 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

Quicker?
Do you mean if you take them from the plant and put them directly into dirt? I guess I'm a little confused, as that's what I thought you described with your Sam's cookie box.

I think I'll do the same though. I have a peat pellet container (although no more peat! I'll use dirt) I can set up, put it into a place where it will be shaded, get indirect sun and some rain.

I really love these little devils. I was thrilled to see 2 of my 3 made it through being twisted by Isabel, then my 1st winter. IOW, they made it despite me. They have new season growth, too! :)
Thanks, Lisa.

Christine

Bookmark   April 7, 2004 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™