Can Helleborus bloom in Chicago? Zone 5?

toad08(7 South Carolina)May 6, 2003

Hi,

I have heard that Helleborus will not bloom in USDA plant zone 5. If you actually have them blooming in zone 5 please post your photo with them blooming plus what is the exposure of your blooming Helleborus?

Thanks,

Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

Certainly. There are some species and hybrids that will not, but many of the Helleborus x hybridus and some of the species (H. niger in particular) will bloom well in USDA 5. Check out the gallery. There are several forum-goers growing beautiful hellebores in zone 5...and some in zone 4 as well.

Bookmark   May 6, 2003 at 2:25PM
Cheryl_IL(z5 NE-IL)

Sorry no pics but about half of mine are blooming now, and the other half just finished. Then they'll have nice lush foliage for the rest of the season. Most are the common Picadilly strain from Pine Knott Farms, but there are a few others that I'd have to check the markers for. If you call or e-mail them I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you which ones will bloom in zone 5.

Bookmark   May 11, 2003 at 9:09PM
Vicky_Stojmenov

Judy,

I am in Toronto,Canada z5b and my hellebore bloomed sometime in April. I have it on the south side of the house under my cherry tree. Now the seeds are getting ripe. I'm also growing some seeds from Tasmania and they germinated 100%. I come from the Balkans and for me they were the most interesting plants because they would poke through the snow and bloom. They grew in wild in the hills.
Have fun
Vicky S.

Bookmark   June 13, 2003 at 3:20PM
mimi856(5a)

I am in zone 5a and bought 3 this year from my local greenhouse and he has had them for many years.

Bookmark   November 2, 2003 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
hellebore help!
I don't know what I am doing wrong, I have had some...
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™