Dill?

rosessecretgardenJanuary 17, 2011

so i want to harvest some of my dill, do you just harvest leaves or can you cut at the stalk? will it grow back up from there?the stalk i mean?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leira(6 MA)

Don't cut it all the way to the ground, but yes, you can cut the stalk. That will help it to get bushier, and ideally you'd be pinching it back from early on.

The general rule with harvesting herbs is not to take more than 1/3 of a plant at a time.

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 2:14PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Dill is also an annual so at some point it will, usually sooner rather than later, cease to produce leaves and will bolt. Just plant dill in waves if you want a steady supply of dill weed.

BTW, let a few plants bolt. The green seed heads can be used in pickles. The dried mature seed is also used in the kitchen or can be resown in the garden.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 9:11AM
leira(6 MA)

I've had some amount of luck with slowing the bolting process by cutting back the stalk, so that side stalks develop. Not a huge amount, and not indefinitely, but enough that I keep doing it every year.

I didn't know that it was the green seed heads that were used in pickles! I'm not much of a pickle fan, though.

I've had really good luck with allowing the dill to re-seed itself in the garden (or via the compost).

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 9:34AM
rosessecretgarden

thanks a lot all of you for your helpful suggestions.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 2:16PM
matthew18(5)

I was thinking about making dill pickle this season. When pickling, is it the preferred method to include the seeds? If the plant bolts does that dramatically effect the flavor of the dill and consequently the pickle?

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 7:54AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

There are alot of different types of pickle recipes but when it comes to dill I would suspect the fresh green dill heads are the preferred method to include the seeds. The flavor of the green seed heads would be different than the dry seed or pre-bolt leaves.

Find a recipe. It will tell you what and how to add it.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™