ALL around plant food - fertiler to buy

scotty0613June 30, 2013

IâÂÂm looking for the best ALL around best plant food / fertilizer for ALL types of different plants, trees, flowers etc. for my yard in South Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help and a BIG thank you in advance.

Scotty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

The best all-around fertilizers have at least these two criteria: 1) they are balanced (NPK ratio: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium), and 2) they are slow-release, which reduces the likelihood of burning plants from excess nitrogen.

Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food is one fertilizer that fits both of those criteria:
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/osmocote-outdoor-indoor-plant-food/prod70362/

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn about Fertilizer

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 16:34

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:49AM
wallisadi

Lesco 13-3-13......use it most everything every spring.......blooming foliage lesco 8-10-10. You'll get a thousand opinions, so experiment, but in fertilizer, you usually get what ya pay for.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:49PM
tom123_gw(9b)

I agree with Carol for most plants. Time released fertilizers are very good in Florida because most of our soil is so sandy. When you start talking trees I suggest Milorganite if they are oaks or pines or even camellias, but palms, citrus and other trees do best with specific fertilizers.

I use Espoma products for most of my flowers or bushes. Espoma is all natuaral, organic fertilizer. It doesn't burn and it seems to encourage the growth of the good bacteria.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:41AM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

yep, Tom.
I use Espoma too. My local feed store now has an all organic fertilizer in 50lbs and I can't get the Espoma in 50s. One of my palms has a bad deficiency because of all purpose fertilizer.
The problem with the all organic is that we now have a dog and she won't leave it alone :-o

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:23AM
palmcityfl

If you use an organic fertilizer, be sure to bury it in the soil, particularly with potted plants. The morning after I fertilize with organics I find that animals have dug up the fertilizer, leaving mounds of soil around the trunks. The labels on the organics don't mention that animals find it edible.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:31AM
scotty0613

I want to thank everyone who took time to answer my question and for giving me valuable advice.

Thanks,
S

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:30PM
echobelly

Ditto about the organic fertilizer. I spread some on my lawn and the dogs ate as much as they could before I realized what was going on. It stunk, too. I decided I didn't need a perfect lawn.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:05PM
wallisadi

Read the label........chicken this and chicken that.....= rats, ect.......:(. Lesco, time release.....read the label......tons of minor nutrients.....just my take......:)

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Mango! Advice needed - photo intensive
I've always wanted to move to Florida for two reasons,...
tampamango
Blue Sky Vine yellowing.....
I took a cutting from a Blue Sky Vine when I moved...
echobelly
wanted: perlite & peat moss wholesaler in miami, fl
Hi, I'm thrilled to come across this site. So many...
PowPowPow
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Sponsored Products
Raindrops Linear Pendant by Varaluz
$959.00 | Lumens
Large Green Food Box & Wrap & Roll Set
$9.99 | zulily
Jelly Fish & Planet Pocket Bottle & Brush Set
$8.99 | zulily
Zojirushi 3-cup Rice Cooker and Warmer
$149.95 | FRONTGATE
Lenox Chirp Square 4 Part Divided Server Multicolor - 826045
$79.95 | Hayneedle
Yellow Succulent Garden Stone
$19.99 | zulily
Jane Seymour 12 in. Lavender and Boxwood Arrangement in Wooden Planter Brown - P
$90.00 | Hayneedle
Crescent Garden Gramercy Square Planter - A341614
$106.65 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™