Rabbits - Grrr!

dlbk(6a)May 30, 2014

Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem and bud from my hellebores and I am *not* pleased. What do you do to deter rabbits? (I've used a hot pepper spray - is there something more permanent/longer lasting?) After waiting all winter, this is terribly disappointing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Hmm, I seldom if ever had rabbit dmg, though I had rabbits eating more succulent things.
I found rabbit elimination (traps) was most effective...though they buggers kept coming back and nesting under my porch...and thus unleashing one or two floods of baby bunnies a year into the garden.

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 8:30AM
Sequoiadendron4(6B)

That's interesting you got rabbit damage, they must have have been really desperate unless you're saying they ate the new foliage that was pushed out in the spring. I haven't had a rabbit problem with mine although I have rabbits eat other things. I too use the trap and release method. For me, this only works when they are desperate for food in late January or February. Also, I keep watch out for rabbit nests and relocate the babies when they are old enough to leave their Mom.

Bookmark   October 8, 2014 at 11:08AM
gardengal48

I would not expect this to be a recurring problem. Hellebores are quite toxic and are usually free from predation by deer, rabbits and other furry critters. That doesn't mean they will never touch poisonous plants - much depends on the age of the individual animal and how desperate they are for food - but I'd be willing to bet that the bunnies were not feeling well after their hellebore banquet.

Most commercial deer repellants will work on rabbits as well.

Bookmark   October 10, 2014 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™