Move my hellebore??

rgvnewf(z5 NL,Canada)May 1, 2006

I have a well established H.niger under a blue spruce. This year I wanted to actually make the area around the tree into a bed by removing a couple of inches of clay around the area, building a stone retaining wall about 4-5 inches high, and filling the area in with good garden soil. My question is should I dig up my hellebore and re-plant it at the new soil level or is it OK to leave the plant where it is and add the new soil directly over it, probably to a depth of 3-4 inches. Which way would cause the least amount of harm to my beloved hellebore. The plan around the bed is to showcase the H.niger, so I really don't want to lose it!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

I think I can guarantee that H. niger will not like being buried under 3-4 inches of even the best of soils. Still, I hate to recommend lifting it, as niger is a rather touchy plant compared to X hybridus. Sounds like you're between the proverbial Devil and the deep blue sea.

George

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 8:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mastergardenerfrank(Zone6/New Jerse)

I would be more concerned with disturbing the surface roots of the Colorado Spruce, by removing soil. You will run less risk of impacting the tree by just top dressing your bed, if you really feel the need to. Helleborus should be planted and left alone. But sometimes they need to be moved, just remember large soil ball. The crown of the plant should be an inch below the soil surface, with an inch of mulch. Feed it with 10-10-10 water soluable fertilizer. Hope this helps.
Frank

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
Grocery store buy
I just bought a 'Jacob' hellebore in a pot at the grocery...
smdmt
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™