growing Orangeglo and Alibaba

itzybitzy_gw(7NC)April 22, 2011

Any body had succes with this delicious fruit please share you story,tips and pictures I've read on other forums about failed experience gardeners that got me thinking about giving up before trying.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Have not grown Ali Baba, but Orangeglo is as easy as any conventional watermelon. They need sandy soil, space and heat. If you have that, just throw out the seeds and watch them go. Orangeglo has a very tender rind. Not prone to splitting in the patch, but has to be handled very gingerly. Have alot bust when transporting from the patch to the house.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 1:10PM
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

they look great do they taste as great as they look?wondering what kind of sand you need I have play sand from my kids sand box will this work? I also add mushroom compost and cow manure to my clay soil.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 7:55PM
farmerdill

Don't add sand to clay or the odds are good that you will get bricks. Watermelons like a light friable soil with depth, that drains well. They also need space, I give each plant 25 30 square feet to grow.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 9:05PM
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

That's funny and awesome pics.by looking at the soil I'm guessing you live near the coast or maybe just in watermelon heaven.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 11:35PM
farmerdill

130 miles. Piedmont area is clay. Sandy soils begin at fall line. True also for the Carolinas. These sandhills are good for watermelon, not so good for many crops as it does not retain water.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
black Siam tomato
I am growing a Black Siam Tomato this year and as with...
barbara97801
Naked seeded pumpkins
I am going to grow Gleisdorfer Naked Seeded Pumpkin...
Trishcuit
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™