Stone Mountain Watermelon

rodger(8SC)April 26, 2007

Now violet before you move this I have reworded it to better fit this forum. I am looking for anyone who may have grown this variety of watermelon it was very popular 40+ years ago. It is a small icebox type red meated. I have had several people ask me about this melon in the past few years and it has prompted me to find it. I did find a dealer in Va. Meridith that still lists it but it has been on back order for over a year. It would be ashame for this variety to be lost. I have checked the last 4 years of SSE annuals but no listings. If someone has older copies could they please check to see when it was listed and maybe have a contact I could get to see if that person still has this variety. I have also sent an e-mail to Glen at Sandhill but this is a busy time and I don't expect a response I may try to call him later this week since he is the curator of the cucibits and melons are his specialty. I will also be attending the 10th annual seed swap in Crawford GA. Sponsered by PASS at the Southern seed Legacy project and will see if anyone there may have seed. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks Rodger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

Isn't it also called the Dixie Belle?

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 7:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

There have been several versions of the Stone Mountain over the years. The original introduced by Hastings was a large green, white seeds with black tips. A lighter shade an bit more oblong than the Black Diamond that replaced it. This was the one also called Dixie Belle by some seed companies. A good melon that was a mainstay along with Dixie Queen for hill country growers. The only version I can find today is the "icebox" sized version, which is vended by Wetzel out of Harrisonburg, Va. Several retailers do Wetzel seed by mailorder. Among them http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?openparent=1089&pid= http://www.roxburyfarmgarden.com/products.php?openparent=1089&pid=

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Looking for good place to source Canadian Heirloom tomato seeds
Any suggestions of a good place to purchase heirloom...
lemonbasil
Ground cherry
I'm considering ordering a ground cherry from Seed...
bex10023
Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow
I am looking for wire fencing that was used as backyard...
Jane Hardy - Tennessee
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
best melon for Louisiana - high rainfall
I know there are a lot of postings on "best melons" But...
greenman62
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Underscore 5 ft. Reversible Drain Bathtub in Sandbar
Home Depot
Stein Word Durban End Table
Beyond Stores
Campania International Avrille Finial - S-444-AL
$104.99 | Hayneedle
Mosaic Natural River Stone Vessel Sink - Brown Onyx
Signature Hardware
Henri Studio Relic Nebbia Dahlia Patio Bubbler Fountain
Lamps Plus
Stone Mill Bayshore Satin Nickel Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Pumpkin Hen & Baby Figurine
$6.99 | zulily
Splash Burgundy One-Light 18-Inch Table Lamp
$151.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™