Hellebores in zone 9?

Jason_D_B(9a NE FL)May 21, 2012

Will hellebores grow in zone 9? I know they take cold weather but nowhere does it say that they have to have cold or distinctive seasons for them to bloom. Can anyone help me with this? I would like to have some.

-Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They will certainly grow in your climate but may not be very long-lived. They're extremely drought tolerant once established and may be prone to a lot of fungal issues in areas of high summer humidity. And many perennials tend to be more short lived when they do not experience distinct seasonal changes or the more common vernalization periods colder climates offer. This is often an issue in warm, almost frost-free locations like SoCal or parts of Florida.

The ones that might do best for you would be those found in warmer, more Mediterranean climates - perhaps H. lividus or H. argutifolius. The oriental hybrids - Helleborus x hybridus, with the bright and varied flower colors - are the ones less likely to do well for you, unfortunately.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jason_D_B(9a NE FL)

Thank you for the tips! I'm going to go buy some hellebores! I couldn't find that info anywhere.
Thanks again!
-Jason

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
Grocery store buy
I just bought a 'Jacob' hellebore in a pot at the grocery...
smdmt
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™