Peach tree yellowing

nova_gwJune 15, 2008

My little peach tree has been in the ground for about two years now and we have harvested the peaches for the year. Now it is taking a on a yellowish cast just when everything else is taking off from the recent rains. Drainage is not a problem. Any ideas as to what is wrong with it? Should I fertilize? Thanks for any suggestions!

nova

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billbrandi(9)

Mine is doing the exact same thing right now. It is a Florida variety, developed by the Univ. of Florida for growing in the sandy soil of Israel. Don't worry. Mine has lost its leaves every year for the past 3 years after the fruit was harvested. They will grow back, even fuller than before. Hit it with some fertilizer to help the growth and use some fungicide when you see new growth appearing.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 11:29AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

I don't have a peach, but this same thing happened to my Page orange a couple weeks ago. Almost every leaf fell off! I was sure I was going to lose it. But just 2 weeks later and it's covered with new leaves and today I noticed it's also covered with new flower buds.

Kate

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 12:07PM
nova_gw

Thanks for the reassurance! My DH really loves the peach tree and worries about it alot. What type of fertilizer do you use on your peach tree? I have to admit I have just been using a generic 6-6-6 around mine. Is there something better?

nova

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 2:20PM
billbrandi(9)

Use a 10-10-10 or something very close.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 4:54PM
an_ill-mannered_ache

susan, i'm no peach expert but -- yellow leaves often indicates iron deficiency. whenever i have ANY plant with yellow leaves, i add a tablespoon of iron (chelated) to my water can and douse it. (you can spray it, too, which fixes things real quick.) iron deficiency is a sign often of too high or too low pH -- the plant can't absorb the iron that's likely present in your water (well, right?) and ground. do you have a pH meter? your soil should be around 6.5 for almost all fruit trees. it's hard to believe yours is far off of 7, but if you've amended with lots of pine or if your soil is naturally hi/lo, you might need to correct that, too.

finally, let's face it -- lots of water and fertilizer fixes almost everything. use a balanced HI QUALITY fertilizer -- a handful a week scattered around the drip line until the problem clears up. i can't tell you how many plants i've 'fixed' that way.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 6:14PM
nova_gw

Thanks again for the advise. I will feed the tree this afternoon and hopefully the rains will water it in for me!

nova

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™