Score at the Big Box Store

ljrmiller(z7 NV)May 4, 2006

Oddly enough, Lowe's has been the source of the most cool Hellebores this spring (That's Lowe's in Sparks, Nevada): Helleborus x nigercors, Helleborus x ericsmithii, Helleborus x sternii and ordinary ol' Helleborus x hybridus 'Immanence Series'. Still, HOW could I resist at $9 a plant? They just up and JUMPED into my shopping cart. Honest.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Lisa-
Were the H. x nigercors in bloom? Wondering if they had any unusual colours. I'm always looking for something different.
The Lowe's around here didn't have them.
Rb

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 1:59PM
gardengal48

Rb, you are not going to find much variation in flower color with x nigercors. Since the parents are white and applegreen in flower color, the hybrids will produce a pale flower with greenish tints, sometimes fading to a deeper pink-flushed green with age.

The only significant range of flower colors will be found with x hybridus, as their parentage is so varied and includes input from so many different species.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 10:30AM
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

Rb, gardengal: the H. x nigercors had blooms exactly as you described. pale greenish fading to greenish-rose. There hasn't been anything new and interesting in Hellebores for about a week now.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
Helleborus orientalis, "Wiggins White"
Has anyone seen these? I purchased one from Wiggins...
MzMolly65
bloom time?
i am a bit confused about the bloom period of Christmas...
subtropix
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™