Transplanting seedlings

eatingthewitchMay 4, 2011

Hi, i just recently started growing Hellebore a few years ago, but now a few of them have a lot of small 2 year old plants growing in a bunch together around them and i want to move the small ones to other places. When is the best time to move them and should i keep them in small bunches or separate and plant each one individually. and what kind of soil would be the best for them to grow in.

Thanks, Marko

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love2gardennc

I would move them as soon as possible. It is easy to damage the roots so dig deep and away from the little plants and gently lift out. If they don'e easily seperate from each other I wash mine until they come apart. Mine seem to do equally well whether in good garden soil or our red clay. Also you may find that your plants are different colors, my hellebores were a pink a purple and a red and I now have some that are pure white and even a double.
Good Luck to you.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eatingthewitch

Thank you very much. i will do as you suggest. there are quite a few in the bunch and i dont want to damage them. i will try to collect the seeds this year. thanks again

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™