Growing American Ginseng?

Eggo(z10soCal LBC)January 7, 2006

Does anyone know if American ginseng(Panax quinquefolium) can be grown in Southern California? Is anyone growing this in a zone 9 or 10, a subtropical climate, or Southern California? Its supposedly needs a colder winter to well. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

I'm no expert on Ginseng, but I remember that quite a bit was grown commercially in Wisconsin -- under shade cloth so it wouldn't get too hot or too much sun since it is an understory plant in Midwestern & Eastern forests in nature. I suppose you could always try and then write a report fior us.... ;^).

Bookmark   January 8, 2006 at 3:46PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

I guess I'm gonna be giving it a shot. =)

Bookmark   January 8, 2006 at 4:40PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

I guess I'm gonna be giving it a shot. =)

Bookmark   January 8, 2006 at 4:41PM
Posie(z3 MN)

My understanding is that Ginseng is quite difficult to grow and usually grows in a natural woodsy site. People here have tried growing it and it is quite a process and needs lots of artifical shade. I'm wondering if your area is going to be too warm and sunny? Also, it takes several years to produce a crop. Good Luck !

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 10:57PM
tennguy(6a)

Ginseng needs cold weather. You might be the first to try growing it and digging it up to give it the "chill", then re-planting. It needs about 78% shade in the summer too, with damp, cooler condition like those found on the northern slope of a hill. It grows wild here in z6b TN. Not trying to scare you from trying it, anything can be grown anywhere if you can control the environment.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™