old at gardening, new at Helebores.....

daylilyfan(5/6_OH)May 23, 2003

A good friend of mine has given me at least 30 seedling helebores that he grew from seed he got somewhere in Michigan - anyway the parents are supposed to be some of the newest fancy things going. Well, I have the babies lined out in great soil, where they will get a few hours of morning sun.

Questions are

1) how much room can I expect a full grown helebore to take up in the shade border?

2) how many years until seedlings bloom?

3) any special fertilizing they need?

4) how much sun a day can they take?

I have tons of perennials, but these are my first helebores....

I know I could bother my friend with these questions - but he's off on a trip trying to find and photograph native American gingers for a book he's writing, and won't be back for quite a while.

Thanks so much...

Jules

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruceNH(z5NH)

1) A full grown hellebore (H.x hybridus) will take a three foot square.
2) In your zone it should take three years for H.x hybridus.
3) Helleborus x hybridus likes fertilizer, any kind, they are a very hungry plant.
4) More sun than you think they need. In good, deep, humus soil, with irrigation in dry spells, Helleborus x hybridus in your zone will thrive in full sun.

Welcome to the hellebore forum, good luck with your seedlings. Are they Helleborus x hybridus?

Always Gardening,
bruceNH

Bookmark   May 24, 2003 at 7:02PM
daylilyfan(5/6_OH)

THANKS for the response. My friend gave me a call from the road, and I asked him about the hellebores... told him I posted to this forum..... and he got them from Washington, not Michigan, and he made the seeds from seedlings he selected out there. Boy was I way off on my info! I don't know what hybrids they are. But, when I visited my friend earlier this spring, he showed me the seedlings he selected and brought back. FABULOUS array of shapes and colors... one was a near white with pink picotee edge. I hope to get the images I took that day up on my web page, and when I do I'll post back to this forum. I am glad they can take sun - I don't have enough shade for 30 plants 3 feet across! The soil they are in has had composted manure, alfalfa pellets, and hardwood mulch tilled into the soil a year or so ago. The daylilies thrive there, so am hoping the hellebores will to.
Jules

Bookmark   May 26, 2003 at 10:43PM
shadygrove(z7 VA)

Sounds like you have good taste in friends....

Bookmark   June 2, 2003 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
Grocery store buy
I just bought a 'Jacob' hellebore in a pot at the grocery...
smdmt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™