ouch! burning fingers - anything I can put on this

christie_sw_mo(Z6)June 11, 2004

ok I learned my lesson. Is there anything I can put on the ends of my fingers that will make the burning go away. I've washed my hands about five times. This surprised me. I've taken seeds out of pods many times with no reaction but I'm definitely having one today. Ouch Ouch Ouch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenmanplants(UDSA Zone 8)

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Don't know what you can do to fix it but certainly don't rub your eyes or any other sensitive skin. I eventually blistered slightly on the tips of my fingers and they were numb for a good few days. Absolutely fine now!

Mine was from an unripe H.sternia that had a broken flower stem and I forced the pods open to salvage the seed, still quite juicy. Never had it before, more careful now not to force pods.

Commiserations, Greenmanplants

Bookmark   June 11, 2004 at 3:41PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I did the same thing last year harvesting seeds; not normally sensitive to plant saps, I've never had a reaction to euphorbia, monkshood or any of the others that people complain about. You could feel the burning for a few days, and later experience some peeling. Soaking your hands after washing, applying a bit of 1% cortisone cream might help...that's what I did, although I have no proof that time might not have done the same...No lasting damage here, just a little uncomfortable. I'll be wearing latex gloves gathering h. foetidus seeds from now on (or any of them).

Bookmark   June 12, 2004 at 8:23PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

My fingers aren't burning anymore but they're still sensitive. I can't touch anything hot. My eyes started burning when I was picking out seeds but that went away pretty quickly. I didn't think to use aloe but that might have helped too.

Bookmark   June 13, 2004 at 7:52AM
ladybug1(7TN)

I generally just cut off the brown flowers and stems (didn't know about harvesting seeds). Are you all saying that the sap in hellebores burns? What in the world is in it. Maybe that is why pests tend to leave it alone.

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 12:52AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I have had an occasional aphid infestation (maybe aphids don't have nervous systems, or don't become depressed) on new growth on my h. Foetidus, happens when the new stems are appearing before I've removed the foliage and flowers from the previous season...If I'm not paying attention I can miss the problem with the new tender shoots...
Hellebores:
"Poisonous Part -
All parts.
Symptoms
Possibly causing burning of mouth and throat, salivation, vomiting, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, nervous symptoms, depression.
Toxic Principle
Protoanemonin.
Severity
TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN. SKIN IRRITATION."

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
Argutifolius is a real pain
Of all the hundreds of hellebores I grow I am disgusted...
geoforce
Sponsored Products
Slate Round Wood-Burning Fire Pit
$139.99 | zulily
Appliance Kitchen Timer Set
$12.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Votive Candles – Set of 6
Serena & Lily
9-Piece Assorted Log Insert - NF-A9CLS
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Dimplex 25 in. Electric Firebox - DF2524G
$799.99 | Hayneedle