how long do they bloom?!

Allshade(z6 MA)June 18, 2005

I bought three blooming Ivory Prince in spring, I believe April, and they are still blooming! This is my first experience with helleborus, but the long bloom time seems unusual. I just love this plant; the flowers are completely green at this point, and the foliage is stunning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Most hellebores hold their blossoms for a very long period, although they will have likely stopped producing new flowers some time ago. If the flowers on 'Ivory Prince' have faded to green they are old flowers and you can remove them at any time. They may have developed the characteristic seed pods, which indicate the flowers are fully spent. In most cases, the presence of greenish flowers on the hybrid hellebores indicate they are spent blossoms - old flowers tend to age to a dullish green.

It is generally suggested that unless you wish to save and harvest the seeds, the flowers be removed once these seed pods begin to form so as not to divert the plant's energy into seed formation. 'IP' is sterile so no need to attempt to save these seeds. IME, once the flowers are fully developed and starting to go over is when the dreaded hellebore aphid makes its appearance, so I tend to cut back before the aphids have a chance to proliferate.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Allshade(z6 MA)

Okay, I'll remove the flowers tonight when I get home, though it kills me to do it!
Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
Rabbits - Grrr!
Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem...
dlbk
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
Sponsored Products
Bird of Paradise Plant
Overstock.com
EverRouge Royal Blue Floral 8-piece King Cotton Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Azure Vase
$24.99 | zulily
Campania International Fleur Weave Round Cast Stone Planter - P-624-AL
$514.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Jade Reynolds Spring Time Multi Colored 39" x 58"
$79.97 | Home Depot