Basil

123LindaJanuary 19, 2013

I bought some basil with roots to plant inside. Brought it home, divided them and planted them in some fresh potting soil, clipped them back, then watered. 3 days later it looks like this. Yikes!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Yuk! I wouldn't have divided them, only put them asis in a large pot.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 7:22PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Also, what was the reason for cutting them back? And does that pot have a drainage hole? They look as if they may be too wet and possibly have got too cold. Is it chilly near that window?

They've had multiple nasty shocks. Disturbed roots, decapitation and a change of climate. All you can do is wait, hope and not water for a good while.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 8:23AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I'm betting that when you divided them up, you were quite rough with them - yanked them out, breaking the baby roots, instead of treating them very tenderly and easing them out gently. That's an unintentional mistake made by many beginners. They're babies, remember, and those roots are fragile.

I'm also willing to bet they were handled quite roughly when transplanted, too. Stuck in the dirt without having a little hole prepared for them with a stick or pencil (a dibble). More root damage as a result.

They probably weren't gently tamped in with the finger-tips, just enough to help them stand up straight. Possibly they were just flooded with water in the hope that it would eliminate air-holes/spaces in the soil to stop the seedlings from collapsing.

Then they've been over-watered to the max, and the water gathered in that saucer - result - no drainage.

All is not lost. I see one survivor in that little field of death. Nurture it. Leave it where it is and try not to kill it with kindness.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. 28 in. Catalina Bisque Table Lamp with S
Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. White Outdoor Table Lamp
Home Depot
Signature Design by Ashley 'Parcal' Estates Basil Ottoman
Overstock.com
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mocha Cream Thin Weave 34 i
Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina White Umbrella Table Outdoor La
Home Depot
Natural Beauty Faux Floral - MULTI COLORS
$495.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™