H. orintale-hybrids: upward facing varieties?

linaria_gwJuly 1, 2010

Hello there,

I am just fiddeling with my planting scheme for next fall, rather moving, swapping, adding some stuff in my perennial boder.

--

I have heard of H. orientale-hybr types that are supposed to have flower heads that are facing upwards. I was slightly interested and checked catalogues of some German and Swiss nurserys, but they were not mentioned/listed anywhere. Now by chance I read about Helleborus ÂAshdown Hybrids on the gardening website of the BBC radio

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/ its really interesting)

___

Are there similar types with other names around? Has anyone grown them and how do you like their look? I am not too sure, imagined a snow drop, facing upwards...

Well, thanks a lot, cheers, Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You may have better success searching under the correct botanical name......Helleborus x hybridus, not "oriental hybrids". Some breeders are working on developing more upright-facing selections but they are far and few between and as of yet, not very successful in their results. It is far more natural for these hybrids to produce nodding or downward facing flowers.

But there are other hellebore hybrids that do produce very upright flowers -- you might want to consider including a few of these in your garden planning. One that I favor - very prolific bloomer and with excellent foliage - is Helleborus 'Ivory Prince, arguably the finest hellebore hybrid on the market in recent years. But any ericsmithii, ballardiae or sternii hybrid will produce upright flowers as well. Or check the xhybridus plants offered by Northwest Garden Nursery - better than most but not quite there yet :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Garden Nursery hellebores

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 2:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

Thanks a lot for the information. I definetely need to read up on those Hellebores. Great thing about gardening you never stop learning new stuff.
Thanks, cheers, Lin

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 7:05AM
More Discussions
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Rabbits - Grrr!
Rabbits have systematically munched almost every stem...
dlbk
Just ordered 6 Amethyst Gem Strain
I know I posted this before but I ordered 4" pots...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™