What do the seedlings look like?

Wiveka_Ritzl(Sweden)July 22, 2004

Hello,

Last summer I planted fresh Helleborus seeds. Now the pot is full of something that looks like blades of grass but there is also one seedling that has two leafs that looks like a helleborus. I have a faint memory that there was one blade of grass last autumn, is it so that hellebourses germinates with blades that looks like grass and then get the adult shape the second year? Or is my pot full of weeds?

Wiveka

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I think you have some weeds in your pot, but certainly hang on to it if you have one that has germinated that may be a real seedling...Here's a photo from our gallery page -

Here is a link that might be useful: seedlings

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 10:06AM
woadwoman(z7 Oregon)

Hello there in Sweden!

I hope you have a nice little seedling coming up there. MorZ8 put up a good photo of the relatively large, oval seed leaves from x hybridus (orientalis). If that's what you have growing, the first true leaf that emerges after these seed leaves will look a bit like a three-leaf clover.

It's probably a good idea to gently pull out the grass growing in your pot, as grasses are very competitive and will take up space, water, light and nutrients that your emerging seedlings will need. I hope you get lots more germination.

Best,
Elizabeth

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 3:02PM
piksi_hk(9)

Wiveka,

I potted up some fresh hellebore seeds and I, too, have small blades of grass-looking seedlings.

I'm waiting to see what they look like later on; I'm not going to pull them up yet.

Piksi

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 11:51AM
Stefan_Sweden(Sweden -20c)

I agree with "woadwoman" and just want to add that usually Helleborus seedlings are quite stiff and glossy....

yours:Stefan

Here is a link that might be useful: www.sandersson.com

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Too late to plant?
I ordered Ice Follies Hellebores in August, the delivery...
Columbine2012
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™