When is the Best time to transplant?

john_4b(z4b WI)July 16, 2009

I want to move my Hellebore hybridus 'Red Mountain' to a spot with better soil conditions. It has been in the same spot for 4-5 years and is not growing much, has bloomed but has not increased in size much. When is the best time to move an established plant?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Even with ideal growing conditions, I have found that Helleborus are slow to increase in size.
They also resent being moved, once they have become established in a location and may suffer a setback.

Best growing conditions are in rich, well drained, circumneutral soil, with part shade (morning sun) to bright shade. They are not a full shade plant, only shade tolerant.

If moved, late summer or early autumn is probably the best time, so that they become established before ground freezes.
Water well before and after moving, Dig as large a root ball as you can safely handle, to avoid disturbing the roots.

In your Zone, I would surmise that you have no worries about soil temperature, as we do here, during the summer.
I try to limit any moves or new plantings until the soil cools into the 60°F range or less.

Good luck!
Rb

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™