Heirloom Tomato Cross-pollination?

ratherbegardeningMay 3, 2009

How far apart should heirloom tomatoes be planted to keep them from cross pollinating? Is it even possible? I'll be planting 5 different varieties and would like to try to keep them true. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watermelon7(9 - 10)

I would recommend covering them with a plastic bag or something to keep the bees from getting to them. That is the sure solution on keeping them from cross-pollinating. Maybe place a thing of honey or syrup away from the plants to keep the smaller insects from cross-pollinating, also.

When blossoms appear, shake the plant for 10 seconds. That should successfully pollinate them. If you see problems with some of the fruit appearing, shake the plant for an extra 10 seconds next pollination.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 11:03AM
opie12(8/MS)

Heirloom tomatoes have perfect flowers (both male and female pats) and self-pollinate most of the time, without any special precautions. If you want to be ABSOLUTELY positive that they do not cross pollinate, then bag the blossoms before they open and leave them bagged until the fruit forms. Then you would need to somehow mark that fruit when you took the bag off so that you would remember which one to save seeds from. I saved seeds from 3 different varities last year and do not think that I had cross pollination problems (the PL came up PL, so I know those are pure). This year I have about 40 varities though.....
Check out the FAQ over on the tomato forum for lots more useful info on saving seeds and cross pollination

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 1:00PM
spiced_ham(z5 OH)

Unless you live on a very large peice of property bees will easily fly from one tomato plant to another no matter where you put them. These are tiny sweat bees and large bumble bees,looking for pollen to feed their young so honey/syrup will not attract them away from the plants. Use tulle/organza mesh bags -- 5x7 drawstring sachet bags sold at Walmart for weddings, not plastic. You can also buy the fabric and make your own.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 10:30AM
megpi(5b/6a)

I cut the feet off torn nylon stocking instead of buying in bags.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 10:56PM
RandyNP51

I was given some heirloom tomato plants last year. The tomatoes were tiny, size of blueberries. I saved the seeds and have seedlings. Is it possible to plant a tomato with large fruit near by to get larger heirlooms with cross pollination?

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Looking for my old sunflowers
When I moved to Roanoke, Virginia from the coast I...
foxhillfiddler
best melon for Louisiana - high rainfall
I know there are a lot of postings on "best melons" But...
greenman62
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
help rabbits eating my plants!
I am faced again with rabbits eating my flowers, any...
nailah
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
Sponsored Products
TOTO Pressure Balancing Valve (TSPTM)
Modern Bathroom
DENY Designs Robert Farkas Sunny leo Outdoor Throw Pillow - 14391-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Uttermost Henzler Mirror Top Console Table w/ Iron Frame & Glass Shelf
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Heirloom Melanie Brown 5' x 7' 9"
Home Depot
Tayloe 19 1/4" Wide Charcoal Pendant Light
Lamps Plus