Pink Frost

pattio2(z4b - ON)September 19, 2013

Ive never planted one befor but just bought myself a Pink Frost and planted it my rather shady flower bed. I chose it because it was shade tolerant. After I got home I read the lable more closely and it said they flower from January to March. The spot where I planted it gets about 2 - 3 foot snow banks every year usually until midMarch.
Should I plant it somewhere else that doesn't get as much snow?
If not, how would I protect it so it will flower?
Does it flower in summer as well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

No - sorry, but hellebores are winter bloomers. In my area, they can start as early as November and continue on (depending on type) until late March.

I am a little concerned about the hardiness of this plant for you. This type of hybrid is generally listed to only USDA zone 5. I know CA zones are a bit different but you should be aware this plant may be marginal for you.

Shade tolerant is one thing but this plant does not require shade - in fact, it blooms better and is less lanky if grown in a fair amount of sun. I might try growing this in a container placed where you could enjoy it when in bloom (front porch?)......this can also allow you to move the plant into protection when really cold weather is expected.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Thick yellow foam like substance in my lawn
It seems like I am not alone with this problem. I have...
JannieK444
H 'Penny's Pink'
Does anyone have or know anything about this one?
shadeyplace
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™