Seedlings in zone 9

piksi_hk(9)October 4, 2007

I received a couple of seedlings and they are in a 4" pot. They have been in shade near eastern window. The more mature leaves are starting to die off...there are some new leaves comint up. Would they do OK in pots inside as houseplants? I know I'm not in the correct zone for these but I did see a nursery here selling them a few years ago. Please advise. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They are not going to work long term as indoor plants. Very few plants native to temperate areas of the world can adapt to being grown as houseplants. We just can't provide adequate light or humidity indoors and a necessary period of dormancy (or semi-dormancy). You can grow hellebores in zone 9 - they just need some special consideration as to placement, depending on variety. xHybridus (the oriental hybrids) will need a shady location and a decent, moisture retentive soil. Corsican hellebore (Helleborus argutifolius) is native to the Mediterranean and will tolerate considerable sun and heat but none are very fond of excessive summer humidity.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
need a few hellebore seed
happy to pay postage for non white or non lavender...
nixon
Ordering from Pine Knot
Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from...
dbarron
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
no flowers
I moved and split a hellebore 3 years ago, since then...
mayslass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™