Chicken Soup--veggies overcooked--suggestions

jill2761(Southeast Texas)January 4, 2013

I made a batch of chicken soup tonight using the Ball Blue Book recipe, which said to simmer all ingredients for 30 minutes. The soup tastes just fine, but the carrots and celery are already very soft--and the soup hasn't even been processed yet.

I realize now that I could have done the veggies as a simple hot pack by heating them in the soup mixture for only 5 minutes, but what's done is done. The question is, what would you do with it? If I can it, the veggies will probably be mush. Any suggestions? It contains chicken stock, diced chicken, onions, celery, and carrots. I was planning on adding either rice or noodles when opening the jars.

Thanks,

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

What to do with it? Now not much you can do except maybe freeze it instead of canning it. In the future bigger vegetable chunks and less pre-cooking.

PC soups will always have a softness to the vegetables just as commercial canned soup does but as you discovered the 30 mins of cooking isn't needed.

Better luck next time.

Dave

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:09PM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

I decided not to can it, already knowing it would be overprocessed. We ate it for supper and will have leftovers tomorrow. I still wanted to can chicken soup, so I did another batch, with my stock and chicken, just adding the veggies at the end for their 5 minutes of simmer time. As you suggested, I also cut them a little larger. The jars are out of the canner, but I haven't tried the soup yet. I don't know how it will turn out, but I wanted to try it.

I've been a busy girl the last couple of days. In addition to the chicken soup, I also canned 7 quarts of stock, several jars of the white bean chicken chili recipe that Carol posted a while back, plus the plain canned chicken.

Jill

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:51PM
westmontco

We do mixed veggies (carrots, onions, celery, etc) separately from the chicken because of the difference in the processing times, then mix when we want a meal. We usually plan on one qt veggies to one pt chicken. Veggies are not as soft that way.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Sponsored Products
Farmhouse Chicken Linen Napkins
The City Farm
Eglo Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Solar Chicken White and Brown LED Light
$42.00 | Home Depot
Glip AF800 White/Orange Oil-less Air Fryer
Overstock.com
Electri-Chef Island Marine 24 in. Built-In Electric Grill - 4400-EC-336-IM-24IN
Hayneedle
Egg-firmation Eggs--Set of 12
| Dot & Bo